Breaking News

Community

Kapu Aloha Unity March To Take Place Saturday

In a demonstration of the strength of unity through Kapu Aloha, a public march in support of the protection of Mauna Kea and in solidarity with kia`i, or protectors, will take place on Saturday, August 10 in Kahului. Marchers will gather at the War Memorial Stadium at 8:30 a.m. and following pule and oli, will walk from the stadium to …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Are There Any Laws or Ordinances Regarding Excessive Engine Noise?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Can you please tell me if we have any laws or ordinances here on Maui concerning excessive engine noise from motor vehicles? Seems like many people have been allowed to alter their mufflers (especially, but not exclusively, two-wheeled vehicles). Answer: Mahalo for your question and I will try …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Can Pedestrian and Bicycle Access on Lower Honoapiilani Road in Napili be Improved?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Could something be done to improve pedestrian and bicycle access on Lower Honoapiilani Road in Napili? Answer: Mahalo for your question and my staff has informed me that improvements to Lower Honoapiilani Road using federal funds are anticipated beyond 2023. We also have a future improvement project for …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Why Aren’t There ‘No Parking’ Signs Along Hana Highway in Front of Twin Falls?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Why aren’t there any “No Parking” signs along Hana Highway in front of Twin Falls in Haiku? Answer: My staff reached out to the state Department of Transportation with your question and were told that the department did add additional signage and striped out part of the shoulder …

Read More »

Local Family and Film Production Donate $35K to Lahainaluna High School

Ed and Kathy Krafchow of Lahaina and TradeWind Productions donated $35,000 to Lahainaluna High School’s media program recently after filming wrapped up for season two of Temptation Island. “I want to let the kids know that we ‘see’ them and we care about them,” Kathy Krafchow said. “When the opportunity came our way to work with TradeWind Productions, we wanted …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: What Are the Requirements for a Non-Mobile Food Stand or Trailer?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Can you please tell me what the requirements are for a non-mobile food stand or trailer? Can it be on residential or agriculturally zoned property? Where would I find the specific protocol to begin? Thank you for creating this opportunity to Ask The Mayor! Answer: Mahalo for your …

Read More »

Maui Crime Stoppers Recognizes Detective’s Efforts

The Maui Crime Stoppers Board of Directors coordinated a Recognition and Appreciation breakfast for the Criminal Investigation Division at IHOP in Kahuilui on Friday.   Criminal Investigation Division Captain Clyde Holokai spoke about the two detectives receiving the Award. Detectives Dennis Clifton and John Surina. “Both Detectives have demonstrated extreme professionalism, diligence, dedication and perseverance in working some very difficult and high …

Read More »