Breaking News

Community

MAYORWatch: When Will the Skate Park at Kalama Park Reopen?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: When will the skate park at Kalama Park reopen? Answer: Our Department of Parks and Recreation informed my staff that the planned improvements to the Kalama Park skate park have been substantially completed. However, due to the unsafe condition of the existing wood vert ramp and half pipe, …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Does the County Have a Scrap Vehicle Program?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Does the County have a program that accepts scrap vehicles for free? Do people have to cut the vehicles up into little pieces before Hammerhead Metals Recycling will accept them? Answer: Mahalo for your question and I am very proud to say that the County of Maui does …

Read More »

Mayor Announces Youth Baseball Celebration

Mayor Michael Victorino announced on Friday that he will host a celebration Friday to honor Maui’s youth baseball teams that have gone on to regional and national championships. “I welcome everyone to come out to celebrate with these players,” Mayor Victorino said. “We’re honoring all these teams, players and coaches who’ve taken Maui to the next level in national competition.” …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Does MPD Tag Cars Parked in Front of ‘No Parking’ Signs?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Does the police department tag cars that are parked in front “No Parking” signs? Answer: Mahalo for your question and for sending a photo to help us provide an answer. The “No Parking Any Time Tow-Away Zone, County of Maui” sign that people might see on the along …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: When are the Coconut Trees Going to be Trimmed at Kalama and Kamaole I Beach Parks?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: When are the coconut trees going to be trimmed at Kalama and Kamaole I beach parks? Answer: Mahalo for your question. My staff checked in with the Department of Parks and Recreation and were told that Imua Landscaping currently holds the palm tree pruning contract for the south, …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: When is the Next Update for the Parking Structure in Wailuku Town?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Aloha Mayor! When is the next update for the parking structure in Wailuku Town? Answer: Thank you for your question and good timing! The County of Maui Department of Management is hosting a community meeting on the Wailuku Town Improvements on Monday, Aug. 19, from 6 p.m. to …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: How Can the Public Notify the County of Issues in Parks?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: I’m wondering if there is a way to easily notify Maui County park staff about possible unstable trees, damaged equipment or other issues in our parks? Answer: Mahalo for using our parks and taking an interest in its safety for our community. I strongly encourage the public to …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: What are the Laws Surrounding Unmarked Vehicles and Plainclothes Officers?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Recently I have been seeing various unmarked vehicles utilizing radar guns and pulling cars over with police lights. A video was posted to Facebook of an unmarked vehicle with a car pulled over and a plainclothes man questioning the driver. What are the laws surrounding unmarked vehicles and …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Why Are There Nonfunctioning Utility Poles Along Mokulele Highway?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: There appears to be nonfunctioning utility poles along the side of Maui Veterans (Mokulele) Highway with its wires on the ground. Do you know what the wires are for and what happened to the poles? Answer: Mahalo for your question. My staff forwarded your question to the state …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: When is the Next Hazardous Waste Collection Event?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: I’m just wondering when the next hazardous waste collection event might be scheduled for? Answer: Mahalo for your question and commitment to keeping our environment safe. Our Department of Environmental Management plans to hold a Household Hazardous Waste collection event every spring and post a notice online prior …

Read More »