Breaking News

Community

MAYORWatch: What Can be Done if a Stolen Item is Spotted at a Pawn Shop?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: If a police report is filed on a stolen item and it is then seen at a pawn shop, what should the victim do? How should he go about recovering the stolen item? Answer: I’m sorry to hear about this situation and I hope the victim was able …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: How Can We Get Added Speed Bumps in Makawao?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: How can we get speed bumps/tables on Makani Road in Makawao? Answer: Mahalo for your question, and I would be more than happy to help you make a formal request for a speed hump/speed table. To make a speed hump information request, click here. Make sure to fill …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Why Are There Fewer Trash Cans and Working Water Fountains at Parks?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: I noticed fewer trash cans and working water fountains at parks this year. Why is this? Answer: Thank you for taking an interest in our parks facilities and this may be a case of which parks you’ve been to recently. Our Department of Parks and Recreation staff reported …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Can the County Apply for FEMA Funding to Aid Homeowners in Building Storm Shelters?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Can the County apply for FEMA funding to aid homeowners in building storm shelters? Answer: Mahalo for your question. Unfortunately, there is no FEMA grant program to assist individual homeowners in retrofitting their homes or building safe rooms. There was a similar program through the State of Hawaii …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: When Will the Hawaiian Hale in Iao Valley be Fixed?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: I would like to know when the Hawaiian Hale in Iao Valley will be fixed? Answer: I asked my staff to check into this issue and they found that a community group received grant funds in the Fiscal Year 2019 Budget to repair the Hawaiian Hale at Kepaniwai. …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: What Roadwork is Happening on Haleakala Highway and Makawao Avenue?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Do you know why they’re doing roadwork on Haleakala Highway and Makawao Avenue? Answer: Mahalo for your question. My staff talked with our Department of Public Works and learned that this improvement project includes 1,000 feet of roadway widening and repaving along Makawao Avenue between Apana Road and …

Read More »

Hawaiian Practitioner Sam Ka’ai to speak at Farmers Meeting

Hawai’i Farmers Union United’s Mauna Kahalawai Chapter presents an evening with respected Hawaiian practitioner and living legend Sam Kaʻai. The evening also includes a hands-on kuʻi kalo (taro pounding) activity and Hawaiian-style dinner, 5:30-8:30 p.m. on Thursday, September 12 at Maui Tropical Plantation’s Maui Chef’s Table venue. The master artisan, cultural practitioner and noted scholar will share his manaʻo about …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Are Officers Supposed to Take Photos of Underage Children They Pull Over?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: My 17-year-old daughter was recently pulled over at a checkpoint. The police officer who was gathering her information took a picture of her on his cellphone. Are officers supposed to take photos of underage children they pull over? Answer: Mahalo for your question. The Maui Police Department recently …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Where Can I Play Pickleball?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Where can I play pickleball on Maui? Can you play pickleball on tennis courts? Answer: Mahalo for your question. Our Department of Parks and Recreation has notified my staff that Maui County has four designated pickleball courts in West District and another four designated pickleball courts in South …

Read More »