Community

MAYORWatch: Does Giggle Hill Park Receive Federal Funds for Maintenance?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: We live in Haiku and frequent Giggle Hill Park. I know it was closed for a long time for being unsafe. Being that it’s a federal park, does it get any funds for maintenance and repair of the playground area? I know it was volunteer-based in the past, …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: What are the New Laws Concerning Firework Usage?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Can you please explain the new laws enacted concerning firework usage and who can be held responsible and the fines involved in the event fireworks are used illegally? Answer: Mahalo for your question, especially as we near New Year’s Eve parties and celebrations. I would be happy to …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Comments About Lower Honoapiilani Road

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Lower Honoapiilani Road from Hoohui Road going north for a quarter of a mile is in need of professional attention due to flooding and potholes. Please check and move this repair to the top of the list. The rest of the road is in great shape. Answer: Thank …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Can the Kahului DMVL Office Handle the Influx of Customers?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: With the closing of the Pukalani Division of Motor Vehicles and Licensing Center for repairs, has staff been added at the Kahului DMVL office to handle the load? Answer: Mahalo for your question and concern. I can confirm that all of the Pukalani DMVL staff have been reassigned …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: What is Being Done About Repaving Additional Sections of South Kihei Road?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: What is being done about repaving additional sections of South Kihei Road? Answer: Mahalo for your question. I asked my staff to check on this matter and I’m happy to report that the Maui Metropolitan Planning Organization is seeking public comments on the latest Draft Revision to the …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Questions About TB Screening and Employment

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: My son recently was hired by a local retailer and one of the requirements before starting was to have a Tuberculosis test taken. After researching online, I discovered there are new streamlined methods of administering these tests. My first question for you is if all medical providers within …

Read More »

Humane Society waives adoption fees through end of the year

The Maui Humane Society is waiving adoption fees for all animals through the end of the year, thanks to a donation from the Savitt Family Foundation. Spay or neuter surgery will also be covered for all dog, cat, and rabbit adoptions, as well as a medical exam, first vaccination, microchip, and 30 days of free pet insurance.

Read More »

Maui Humane Society Offers Sponsored Adoption Fees Through the End of the Year

Maui Humane Society has announced that thanks to a donation fromthe Savitt Family Foundation, adoption fees on all adoptable animals are being sponsored now through the end of the year. All adoptions include spay/neuter surgery (dogs, cats, and rabbits), medical exam, first vaccination, worming and flea control (dogs and cats), free physical exam at participating local veterinarian, microchip, two weeks …

Read More »

Central Maui Landfill to Begin Opening on Sundays, for Green Waste Disposal

The Central Maui Landfill will begin opening Sundays on Dec. 15 for residential green waste disposal only, the County of Maui Department of Environmental Management announced. “This is something I’ve wanted to see happen for a long time, especially for residents who clear their yards over the weekend,” Mayor Michael Victorino said. “I’m very pleased to see the return of …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Do You Have to Pay Back Taxes When Disposing of a Junk Vehicle?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: If someone wants to dispose a junk vehicle that hasn’t been registered in a long time, do they have to pay a large amount of back taxes to the County? Answer: Let me guess, you’re asking for a friend? Regardless, you can tell them that back taxes, fees …

Read More »