Breaking News

Community

Haleakala National Park Accepting College Internship Applications

Applications are now being accepted for the 2018 ‘Imi i ka Lama Collegiate Internship Program at Haleakalā National Park. There will be six positions available in the fields of Endangered Wildlife Management, Facilities Management, Interpretation, Cultural Resource Management, Team Leader, and Visitor/Resources Protection. Hawai`i residents who are attending college and interested in cultural and natural resources careers are encouraged to …

Read More »

New Youth Programs Offered through Maui County 4-H

This spring several new programs are being offered through the University of Hawai`i Cooperative Extension 4-H Youth Development Program. Youth ages 13 to 18 can choose from a variety of topics and locations for participation. The My PI Hawai`i Disaster Preparedness program trains youth in Fire Safety and Suppression, Light Search and Rescue, CPR and AED, and other subjects to …

Read More »

Learn to Swim Registration Scheduled for West Maui

Registration for the Learn to Swim program is coming up in February at the Lahaina Aquatic Center. Children ages four and up as well as adults of all ages are welcome to join. Class registration is based on a first come first serve basis as space is limited for each level. Participants must register in person and may need to …

Read More »

Maui MMA Feature: Rilley ‘The Perfect Storm’ Dutro

The story of Maui’s very own Rilley “The Perfect Storm” Dutro is one of persistence. Dutro began his mixed martial arts career at the age of 21, but his interest began much earlier. “I was always an athlete,” he told MAUIWatch in an exclusive interview. “I grew up wrestling and that background carried me into martial arts.” Even before getting …

Read More »

Nominations Sought for 2018 Annual Women of Excellence Awards

For a woman to be seen by her community is a gift. Many work hard behind the scenes, give everything they have to build a stronger community, and work tirelessly to protect what they love. Many have encountered struggles along the way and have endured all forms of discrimination, and many continue to fight discrimination in all forms. Thirty-eight years …

Read More »

AARP Foundation Provides Free Tax Preparation

Beginning February 1 and continuing through April 17, the AARP Foundation is providing free tax assistance and preparation through its Tax-Aide program. AARP Foundation Tax-Aide, celebrating 50  years of service, is the nation’s largest free tax assistance and preparation service. Since its inception, the program has served more than 50 million taxpayers. AARP Foundation Tax-Aide started in 1968 with just four volunteers working at …

Read More »

Maui Humane Society Recipient of $100K PetSmart Charities Grant

Maui Humane Society has announced that it received $100,000 from PetSmart Charities, the leading funder of animal welfare in North America, to help continue to fuel its spay and neuter efforts on Maui. With the help of this donation, the organization will be able to continue to offer subsidized low cost spay and neuter services to Maui County residents. Since …

Read More »

Four students selected to participate in immersion program to the Philippines

Four students have been selected to participate in the inaugural I.M. Ready study abroad program and will be introduced at a fundraising dinner on Friday, January 19 at 5:30 p.m. at the Leis Family Class Act Restaurant, University of Hawai‘i Maui College officials announced today. The International Mobility or I.M. Ready immersion program aims to empower students by providing them opportunities …

Read More »