Breaking News

Community

Haleakalā to Offer Free Admission to Kick Off National Park Week

Entrance fees to Haleakalā National Park will be waived for the public on Saturday, April 20 at the start of National Park Week, which continues through April 28. Also on April 20, National Junior Ranger Day will be celebrated with a special Volunteer-in-Parks program. Kids, along with family, and friends, can sign up as volunteers and join in a ‘ōpala …

Read More »

Musical Talents Urged to Audition for UH Maui Institute of Hawaiian Music

The University of Hawai‘i Maui College Institute of Hawaiian Music will hold auditions for those interested to enroll in the 2-year Hawaiian Music certificate program for Fall 2019 semester on Saturday, April 20 from 9 a.m. to 12 noon at Ka‘a‘ike building, Room 111 at the Kahului campus. Prospective students are expected to perform for six minutes, introduce themselves and …

Read More »

UH Maui Receives Cyber Defense Education Designation

The University of Hawai‘i Maui College has been designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in cyber defense education through academic year 2024 for its 4-year Applied Business and Information Technology bachelor’s degree program. The designation is given by the National Security Agency and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to promote higher education and research in cyber defense, …

Read More »

Maui Electric to Replace Utility Pole Along Hansen Road

Maui Electric will be replacing a utility pole along Hansen Road between Hāna Highway and Pulehu Road on Saturday, April 6, from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. The work was initially scheduled for Wednesday, February 13 but has since been rescheduled. Safe completion of the work will require a road closure on Hansen Road. During this time, traffic will be …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Are There Any Plans to Resurface the Old Airport Road?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Are there any plans to resurface the old airport road? This road is widely used by people going to Costco and the air cargo area, and there are potholes that can cause damage to your car. Answer: Mahalo for the question and although this question concerns …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Why Doesn’t Wailuku Have Residential Recycling Bins Like Kihei?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff. Question: I would like to know why Wailuku has no residential recycling bins like Kihei does? Answer: The curbside recycling program, 3 Can Plan, was implemented in two pilot areas in Kihei back in 2012 and continues indefinitely due to high demand from residents in the area. …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: What is Being Done About Traffic Congestion on South Kihei Road?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Can you tell me what is being done about the traffic congestion on South Kihei Road? The traffic signals are clearly not timed correctly at the intersections of Lipoa, Azeka and Piikea where they intersect with South Kihei Road. Last night we spent over 10 minutes …

Read More »

MPD to Begin Upload Missing Person Cases to NamUS Website

Beginning on April 1, the Maui Police Department will be uploading it’s Missing Person cases to the NamUs website. The public will be able to use NamUs to get updates on any Missing Person case. They will also be able to use it as a resource to locate unidentified or unclaimed persons. NamUS is a nationwide information clearinghouse offering free, …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Are There Plans for the Corner of Kaahumanu and Wahine Pio Avenues?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff. Question: What are the county’s plans for the property at the corner of Kaahumanu and Wahine Pio avenues? My understanding is that the University of Hawaii Maui College leased the land from the county and built dormitory buildings on it, then abandoned those buildings. The site would …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Concern Over Leaning Telephone Pole

Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff. Question: I have noticed there is a leaning telephone pole on Mokulele Highway (Maui Veterans Highway) around Mile Marker 4. The pole is leaning dangerously close to the ground and has what I assume to be electrical wires on it. My wife said she saw it like …

Read More »