Breaking News

Community

Maui Kids Share Court with Tennis Legends

The Hawai`i Champions Cup kicked off on Saturday with the spirit of giving back. The two-day weekend event, hosted at the Royal Lahaina Tennis Ranch, features four of the most renowned tennis players in the world, all of whom have made it to a Grand Slam quarterfinal or beyond. On Saturday afternoon, tennis legends Michael Chang, Tommy Haas, Mardy Fish …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: What is the Law for Keeping Fire Extinguishers Unobstructed?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: What is the law for maintaining unobstructed area by fire extinguishers outside buildings? I live in a condominium complex in Kaʻanapali and our fire extinguishers and fire hydrants are not properly being cleared. Answer: Thank you for your important safety question, which can serve as a reminder for …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Are Styrofoam Coolers Legal?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: I work in a very large resort on the bell staff. I have been seeing many styrofoam coolers brought in by guests of the hotel. When I questioned the guest, they told me they bought them here on Maui at a local store. I thought we banned all …

Read More »

Community Town Hall Meeting To Address Concerns Surrounding Illegal Fireworks

In response to growing community concerns about the magnitude of illegal fireworks during the recent New Year’s holiday season, a community town hall meeting featuring a panel of law enforcement officials will be held on April 30 at 6:00 p.m. at the Pomaika’i Elementary School Cafeteria. The panel will provide information on what efforts are being made to address the …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: What is the Noise Ordinance Rule in Zoned Agricultural Areas?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Aloha, my question is because we are zoned Agriculture in Launiupoko, is our noise ordinance (quiet hours) after 9 p.m. and before 9 a.m.? Answer: Mahalo for your question and from what the state Department of Health, Indoor and Radiological Health Branch, has told us, there …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: When Will the County Fix the Access at Papalaua Beach?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff. Question: When will the county fix the access at Papalaua Beach? It’s extremely dangerous due to erosion and vehicles are in danger when they enter and exit. This problem has been going on for two years now. As you may know, this is an extremely popular …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Can a ‘Slow Down’ Sign be Placed in my Neighborhood?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Is there any way a “slow down” sign could be placed in my neighborhood in Haiku? Answer: I share your concerns about drivers sometimes speeding through neighborhoods, especially ones with children on the sidewalk. My staff looked into this concern, and while it would be …

Read More »

Maui Electric to Hold Silent Auction for Retired Vehicles

Maui Electric’s Fleet Department will hold a silent auction for its retired vehicles on Wednesday, April 24, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., on the front lawn of Maui Electric’s Kahului parking lot located at 210 W. Kamehameha Avenue and Wakea Avenue. More information on the retired vehicles, the bid form, and guidelines for the auction can be viewed on …

Read More »

Hawaiian Airlines Hiring in Kahului

Hawaiian Airlines is recruiting for guest service, cargo and ramp agent positions at Kahului Airport. The airline will be holding an open house on April 27 at the Maui Arts & Cultural Center in Kahului to provide more information about the career opportunities. Job seekers interested in attending the open house should register online by April 25. Hawaiian Airlines guest …

Read More »

Red Cross to Install Free Smoke Alarms in Kahului, Wailuku

From April 24 through April 27, between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Red Cross volunteers will be installing free smoke alarms in the Kahului and Wailuku areas, focusing on vulnerable populations like the elderly, disabled, needy, and families with young children. This is part of the Red Cross Home Fire Campaign, in which volunteers will also be teaching residents how …

Read More »