Breaking News

MAYORWatch: What is the Noise Ordinance Rule in Zoned Agricultural Areas?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff.

Question: Aloha, my question is because we are zoned Agriculture in Launiupoko, is our noise ordinance (quiet hours) after 9 p.m. and before 9 a.m.?

Answer: Mahalo for your question and from what the state Department of Health, Indoor and Radiological Health Branch, has told us, there are no “quiet hours,” per se, in the state statute under community noise control.

However, if the property is zoned agriculture, they are not allowed to do work that exceeds 70 dBa any time on any day. A person would first need to obtain an approved community noise permit that allows them to exceed 70 dBa for agricultural activities only.

For more information and questions related to noise issues, please call the Department of Health, Indoor and Radiological Health Branch at (808) 586-4700.

Want to Ask the Mayor? Submit your Maui County related questions to Mayor Michael Victorino by email at [email protected], by phone at 270-7855 or by mail at 200 S. High St., ninth floor, Wailuku 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask theMayor” column; to request a personal response to a concern, email [email protected]



Check Also

Humane Society waives adoption fees through end of the year

The Maui Humane Society is waiving adoption fees for all animals through the end of …