Recently, Maui Economic Development Board announced the recipients who received grant awards totaling more than $142,000 from the MEDB Ke Alahele Education Fund, a grant making vehicle to further support the growing need for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math education in Maui County and statewide.
Among the awards, ranging from approximately $1,400 to $5,000, that were distributed during the 2017-2018 school year were:
- Development of CAD/CAM capacity at Baldwin High School.
- Funding to offset expenses to attend the 9th Annual Hawaii STEM Conference on Oahu for Baldwin High School, King Kekaulike High School, Lahaina Intermediate School, Maui High School, Molokai Middle School, Pukalani Elementary School, and St. Anthony School.
- Educational materials and equipment for Lahaina Intermediate School’s STEM programs.
- Funding to help run the Maui County Regional Science and Engineering Fair for over 100 Maui County students.
- Funding to support STEM training for Maui Preparatory Academy educators.
- Establishment of a website for O Hina I Ka Malama HIP at Molokai High School.
- Computers for St. Anthony School’s Media Lab.
- Funding for 2017 Daniel K. Inouye Innovation Award winners
- Renezel Lagran, graduate of Maui High School
- Maui High School ACOM Program
- Maui Waena Intermediate School STEMwx
- Robotics programs at 15 schools and organizations including:
- Baldwin High School
- King Kekaulike High School
- Lahainaluna High School
- Princess Nahienaena Elementary
- Lihikai Elementary School
- Maui High School
- Maui Waena Intermediate School
- Molokai High School
- Molokai Middle School
- Montessori School of Maui
- Pukalani Elementary School
- St. Anthony School
- Waihee Elementary School
- Wailuku Warriors and The Maverick Robotics Club
- Wailuku Warriors Lego Robotics Team
“Jobs today and in the future depend on the preparation of our students in critical thinking, problem solving, communication, collaboration, and creativity – all skills nurtured by STEM education,” said Curtis Tom, Sr. VP/Island Manager for Bank of Hawaii in Maui County and Chair of the MEDB Education Committee. “The MEDB Ke Alahele Education Fund was created to provide STEM tools for our youth and educators in an effort to open doors to exciting career opportunities. Those who support the MEDB Ke Alahele Education Fund through our annual fundraiser are helping to make this investment in our state’s future workforce.”