Breaking News

News

County Begins Landslide Repair Work at Nuanualoa Gulch

The Department of Public Works began repair work on the makai side of Piilani Highway near Nuanualoa Gulch today, however motorists should be aware that daily road closures will not begin until February 5. The work is to repair damage from a landslide in the area last year and includes excavation, building a concrete retaining wall, putting in guard rails …

Read More »

Hawai`i’s Unemployment Rate at Two Percent in December

The Hawai`i State Department of Labor & Industrial Relations announced on Monday that the seasonally adjusted unemployment rate for December was 2.0 percent, compared to the revised rate of 2.1 percent for November. Statewide, 668,600 were employed and 13,550 unemployed in December for a total seasonally adjusted labor force of 682,200. Nationally, the seasonally adjusted unemployment rate was 4.1 percent …

Read More »

Lahaina Liquor Certification Exams Canceled Until Further Notice

  Due to a staff shortage the Lahaina Office Liquor Certification Exams which are usually scheduled every Thursdays are canceled immediately until further notice. Wailuku certification exams will still be offered during their regularly scheduled times on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays at room 105 at the David Trask Building at 2145 Kaohu Street. Exam registration is from 8:15 to 8:45 a.m. and …

Read More »

Governor David Ige: ‘Building a Hawai`i for Our Children’

Below you will find verbatim text of Governor David Ige’s State of the State Address “Building a Hawai`i for Our Children” from January 22. Speaker Saiki, President Kouchi, former governors, distinguished justices of the courts, representatives of our congressional delegation, members of the Hawaiʻi State legislature, elected officials, military leaders, honored guests, family and friends. Good morning and Aloha! As …

Read More »

Maui’s Statewide Transportation Improvement Program Meetings Set

The Hawai`i Department of Transportation, will be holding public informational meetings to discuss the draft Statewide Transportation Improvement Program for fiscal years 2019-2022 (+2) for Maui County. DOT officials are encouraging the public to participate in these meetings as the comments will help guide the finalization of the STIP. Meetings for other parts of the state will be held in …

Read More »

UPDATE: Haleakala National Park to Fully Reopen Tuesday

Updated at 9 p.m. Haleakala National Park officials say the all clear to reopen the park and all visitor services in time for sunrise viewing on Tuesday, January 23 has been granted. All visitors must have a current sunrise reservation to enter the park between 3am and 7am. Sunrise reservations can only be made in advance, online, at recreation.gov. Original …

Read More »

California Visitor Pulled from South Maui Waters Saturday

On Saturday, Jan. 20, 2018, at 6:22 p.m., emergency crews in South Maui responded to Kamaole Beach Park III for an unresponsive male pulled from the ocean. Firefighters arrived at 6:26 p.m. and found bystanders on the beach performing CPR on a male victim. Fire crews and paramedics continued life-saving measures, however, despite all efforts the man could not be …

Read More »

Postage Rates Increase in 2018

Beginning Sunday, the United States Postal Service  will implement new postage rates for several mailing and shipping products. Among the changes postal customers can anticipate are an increase in Domestic First Class Mail Letters (1 ounce) that will be bumped up a penny from $0.49 to $0.50. Additional ounces will cost $0.21. The discounted “Metered Mail” category for First Class …

Read More »

UPDATE: Most Haleakala NP Facilities Open Amid Government Shutdown

This post has been updated as of 12 p.m. January 21. During the shutdown of the federal government due to the lapse of appropriations, national parks will remain as accessible as possible, while still following all applicable laws and procedures. Aside from a daily 3 a.m. to 7 a.m. closure of the Summit District, all Haleakalā NP roads, lookouts, trails, …

Read More »

Lawmakers hold informational briefing on false missile warning

It’s the single event many still want answers to. Nearly a week after the State’s false alarm, Hawaii lawmakers are putting the pressure on officials in charge.  The governor, a pair of generals and HI-EMA’s Vern Miyagi were the targets of those questions. Keep in mind, the investigation into that event that sent the state into panic is ongoing. Still, …

Read More »