Breaking News

Community

Maui complex opens specialized education center

After a year of planning, the Baldwin-Kekaulike-Maui Complex celebrated the opening of Po’okela Maui today. The focus of the center will be to assist children who have significant behavioral challenges with adjusting to a classroom environment. Teachers will work on addressing any barriers to learning and helping each child with their social engagement and communication skills. “This has always been …

Read More »

Maui Red Cross Urges Residents to Prevent Home Fires

Every 8 minutes, the Red Cross responds to a disaster- and the vast majority of these are home fires. “Home fires can be a deadly threat because they happen so quickly,” said Michele Liberty, Maui Red Cross Director. “We are urging Maui residents to ensure that they have working smoke alarms in their homes.” In the United States, home fires …

Read More »

Recruitment Opens for Adult Corrections Officers on Maui

The Department of Public Safety opened recruitment for anyone interested in becoming a correctional officer at the Maui Community Correctional Center (MCCC) in Wailuku. Recruitment is now open on the Department of Human Resources and Development (DHRD) website. To qualify, applicants must meet all of the requirements listed on DRHD’s webpage. Applicants must be a high school graduate or have …

Read More »

Miss Maui offers her Thanks on Thanksgiving

I was challenged by the author of this article to say something I haven’t said yet and wanted people to know. This was especially difficult because 1) I talk a lot and 2) I forget what exactly I say a lot, so I think what I want to share is just a little piece of thought I hold to be …

Read More »

Community organizations receive electric vehicles from Maui Electric and Hawaiian Electric Industries Charitable Foundation

Maui Electric Company and the Hawaiian Electric Industries (HEI) Charitable Foundation presented Smart electric vehicles (EV) to the University of Hawai‘i Maui College, Boys & Girls Clubs of Maui (BGCM), and Maui Hui Malama during its Go EV event today, Saturday, November 19. The donated “Smart ForTwo” cars are valued at over $10,000 each and come equipped with electric charging …

Read More »

Maui Hospitals Announce December Public Hearings

The Hawai‘i Health Systems Corporation (HHSC) Maui Region board of directors will hold two public meetings in December to provide an update on healthcare in Maui County. The hearings will cover items related to the current state and future plans for the region’s three facilities – Maui Memorial Medical Center, Kula Hospital and Lānaʻi Community Hospital. The meeting will also …

Read More »

County Promotes Saturday, Nov. 26 as “Small Business Saturday”

The Mayor’s Office of Economic Development today announced its inaugural campaign to support local businesses on “Small Business Saturday,” November 26, 2016. Originally created as a national initiative by American Express, intended to encourage shoppers to support small retailers during the holiday season, the County of Maui is the first countywide effort in Hawaii to proudly promote Small Business Saturday. …

Read More »