Breaking News

MAUIWatch Staff

MAUIWatch Staff

UPDATE: MPD locate missing person

MISSING PERSON UPDATE 05/25/17: Stanley Sudol was located today in good health. Thank you all for your assistance. The Maui Police Department is asking for the public’s assistance in locating 22-year-old Stanley Sudol of Makawao who was reported missing on May 24, 2017. Stanley Sudol is described as 5’11” tall, weighing about 160 lbs. with brown hair and brown eyes. …

Read More »

CPHC: 5-8 Tropical Cyclones Potentially Expected

NOAA’s Central Pacific Hurricane Center today announced that climate conditions point to a near- to above-normal hurricane season in the Central Pacific basin this year. For 2017, the outlook calls for a 40% chance of an above-normal season, a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 20 percent chance of a below-normal season, with 5 to 8 tropical …

Read More »

Hawaii Receives a Grade of B for Its Medical Marijuana Program

Hawaii Department of Health has received a “B” and ranked the fifth highest in the nation for its medical marijuana program, based on a recent report card of new, regulated medical marijuana distribution programs issued by Americans for Safe Access (ASA). The national organization’s mission is to reduce barriers to medical cannabis by creating policies to improve access for patients …

Read More »

Office on Aging Warns Residents of Impersonator

The Maui County Office on Aging is warning the public of an impersonator incident earlier this month. Officials say that a woman who receives Office on Aging services was approached at her home by an individual “pretending” to be a worker from the office. “This suspect had no county ID or Office on Aging uniform so when the resident went …

Read More »

‘Click It or Ticket’ Annual Campaign Revs Up

The Hawaii Department of Transportation and its traffic safety partners are kicking off the summer with the national “Click It or Ticket” enforcement mobilization. The goal of campaign that started yesterday and runs through June 4 is to remind drivers and passengers that buckling up saves lives. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, an estimated 18 lives were …

Read More »

Vehicle and Male Victim Found 100 Feet below Nakalele Cliff

On Monday afternoon, May 22, 2017, firefighters recovered the body of a man from a vehicle that was found resting at the bottom of a cliff near mile marker 38 on Kahekili Highway in West Maui. Firefighters received the call at 4:50 p.m. that an opihi picker came across a vehicle with a body inside. The person believed the vehicle …

Read More »

HIDOE launches final phase of student transportation reforms

The Hawaii State Department of Education (HIDOE) has successfully reached the final phase of its Get on Board initiative with the awarding of new contracts on Maui and Kauai for school year (SY) 2017-18. On Maui, Robert’s Hawaii School Bus will service the Kekaulike Complex and Ground Transport Inc. will provide transportation for the Baldwin, Maui and Lahainaluna complexes. On …

Read More »

Public hearing on Water Meter Reservation Rules scheduled

Pursuant to Section 91-3(a), Hawaii Revised Statutes, the Department of Water Supply of the County of Maui (the “agency”) hereby provides notice of a public hearing for the purpose of adopting new, proposed administrative rules entitled “Rules Relating to Water Service” and “Rules Relating to Water Meter Reservations”. The Department of Water Supply will conduct a public hearing on the …

Read More »

Maui’s Rep. Ing & Woodson part of newly named House Leadership

Hawaii State House Speaker Scott K. Saiki announced his full leadership team today. His new leadership team for the House of Representatives will help to empower women and the next generation of leaders at the State Capitol. For the first time since statehood, three of the top four leadership positions will be filled by woman and seven of the total …

Read More »