MCN collects a visitor’s geolocation data through the MCN Services for purposes of offering visitors relevant content, including content from nearby Member stations. Geolocation data consists of general location information based on latitude and longitude (if the visitor has enabled location services for an MCN application on the visitor’s mobile device), or MCN may approximate a visitor’s location based on the IP address of the visitor’s computer or mobile device.
Children should always get permission from their parents before sending any information about themselves (such as their names, email addresses, and phone numbers) via the web or mobile device, to MCN or to anyone else. The MCN Services are not directed at children under the age of 13 and MCN does not knowingly allow anyone under the age of 13 to provide any personally-identifying information to MCN. If you are under 13, please do not attempt to register for any MCN Services or provide any information about yourself.
Gathering of Information
MCN collects contact information, such as name, address, email address, and telephone number, that visitors voluntarily submit by, for example, registering for newsletters or an MCN account, signing on to the MCN Services through their social media account, creating a public profile for an MCN account, sharing a story, or submitting comments or materials to MCN.
- MCN’s web server creates access logs for visitors to the MCN Services, recording such information as IP address, date and time of visit, path taken, browser, list of files downloaded or viewed, and time spent listening to audio.
- MCN collects information from a visitor’s mobile device or app, including unique device identifier, operating system, phone model, app version and/or automobile make (for certain connected car platforms).
- MCN collects information enabling it to recognize a visitor as the same visitor when the visitor accesses the MCN Services using different browsers or devices.
- In order to personalize the listening experience for visitors to personalized digital listening services offered through the MCN Services, such as the “MCN One” service, MCN collects information about each visitor’s listening activity, including audio segments that a visitor listens to, audio segments that a visitor skips and shares, audio segments that a visitor marks as interesting, and listening times and frequency. MCN also collects information regarding whether a visitor has donated to Member stations through the MCN Services, or has requested information about or expressed interest in donating to Member stations. MCN may share this information with the Member stations localized to or associated with a visitor’s account.
- MCN may collect information related to content preferences.
- MCN may collect a visitor’s other personal information (such as age or gender) (a) that the visitor has chosen to associate with the visitor’s social media account(s), or (b) in aggregated, non-identifying form through third-party vendors.
Use of Information
MCN uses the personally-identifying information it gathers (a) to provide requested products and services, (b) to identify visitors when MCN publishes material they submitted, and (c) for internal purposes and for marketing, fundraising, membership and communications purposes of MCN.
- MCN uses access logs, content preferences, information about visitor listening activity, cookies, web beacons, and third-party analytics data to analyze use of the MCN Services, offer interactive features, and personalize the MCN Services, such as by recalling visitor information so that the visitor does not have to re-enter it, offering other content that may be of interest to the visitor, and displaying more relevant sponsorship messages. MCN localized to or associated with a visitor’s account also may use information about content preferences for internal purposes and for marketing, fundraising, membership and communications purposes.
Sharing Information with Third Parties
MCN generally does not share personally-identifying information it gathers with third parties, except with MCN service vendors (to the extent necessary for the vendor to provide the services), and other third parties when a visitor consents.
Any information a visitor submits, posts to or shares through the MCN Services will become available to the public.
- MCN may share aggregate information about use of the MCN Services that does not identify its visitors individually.
- MCN will release visitor information when required to do so by law or when it believes it is necessary to protect MCN, MCN employees, visitors to the MCN Services, sponsors, service providers, the public, or others.
- MAUIWatch provides targeted advertising services for our advertiser clients (“Advertisers”). When you visit a website operated by an Advertiser or a third party site where we could serve an ad to you, we may collect some or all of the data described in the AdRoll Service Privacy Notice. Our platform uses that data as well as other data described below to help Advertisers provide ads to you that are more relevant to you.For example, if you visit an Advertiser’s website and shop for running shoes, our Platform (or another platform we work with) may later serve you with targeted ads for the Advertiser’s brand of running shoes as you browse the internet or through other channels, such as emails.
If you have questions, wish to correct, update or remove any of your personal information, or wish to opt out of future communications from MCN, please Contact Us.
Gathering of Information
MCN collects personally-identifying information from visitors whenever visitors provide it to MCN. MCN asks visitors to provide certain personally-identifying information as they interact with the MCN Services, for example: when they register for certain features or services (such as an MCN account and MCN email newsletters); when they create a public profile for their MCN account; when they email, send via SMS (Short Message Service) or text message, or otherwise share a story from MCN Services; when they post, upload, transmit and/or otherwise submit (“Submit”) a comment, message, story idea, essay, photo, image, or other text, content or material (“User Materials”); and when they register for an MCN event or any online contest. MCN also may ask visitors to provide personally-identifying information in other limited circumstances specified at the time the information is gathered.
Any information that visitors Submit on or through MCN’s social networking features, forums and discussions, as part of story or blog comments, or that visitors otherwise Submit to MCN Services, may become public, including the full name and nickname that visitors provide when registering for an MCN account or creating a public profile.
MCN also may collect other personal information (such as age, gender or other demographic information) (a) that the visitor has chosen to associate with his or her own social media account(s), or (b) in aggregated, non-identifying form through third-party vendors that provide analytics services. This information may be stored on MCN’s servers with other information previously received or collected from the visitor.
Within MCN’s mobile sites and applications and any features of these sites and applications (“MCN Mobile Services”), MCN collects a device’s unique identifier, operating system, device model, app version, automobile make (for certain connected car platforms), and/or content preferences.
MCN is not responsible for, and assumes no liability for, the privacy and information collection and use practices of this or any other third-party vendor. If you do not agree to the collection and use of this information by any MCN third-party vendors, please do not engage the interactive sponsorship acknowledgment features.
MCN uses Google’s Universal Analytics service to collect information that enables MCN to recognize a visitor as the same user when the visitor accesses the MCN Services using different browsers or devices. See the “Opting Out of Cookies and Web Beacons” section below for more information about opting out of this collection of information by Google Analytics.
Like other web servers, the server used by MCN for MCN Services automatically creates log files for each visitor who accesses the MCN Services. These “access logs” allow us to make our site more useful to our visitors. The access logs do NOT record a visitor’s name, address, email address, credit card information, or other similar personally-identifying information. Rather, they contain some or all of the following information:
- The Internet Protocol address (IP address) of the machine which accessed the MCN Services.
- General location information (based on IP address or latitude and longitude).
- Device type and unique device identifier (for users of MCN Mobile Services) and other technical information about your device, system and application software.
- The date and time of the visit.
- The path taken through the MCN Services, including any “favorites” selected by the visitor, as well as patterns in the paths taken by visitors.
- Other content preferences,
- The browser and operating system being used.
- A list of files downloaded or viewed.
- The amount of time spent listening to/viewing media files.
- Any errors encountered.
MCN uses a service called Bitly to provide shortened uniform resource locators (“URLs” – the “addresses” of individual web pages) so our content can be shared more easily, particularly through social media services. Bitly collects information as our shortened URLs are shared and clicked on and makes some of that information available to us.
Cookies and Other Technologies
MCN also uses “cookies” to collect information. A cookie is a string of characters that can be written to a file on the visitor’s hard drive when the visitor visits a website, application or service. Only the website, application or service that set the cookie can read it, and it can only be used as a record-keeping device to store visitor IDs and information that the site already has. It cannot be used to read other information from the visitor’s hard drive.
MCN and its third-party vendors also may use web beacons, alone or in conjunction with cookies. A web beacon is an electronic image, also known as a single-pixel (1×1) or clear .gif., which can be used to recognize certain information on your computer, such as cookies, the time and date a page is viewed, or a description of where API content is placed. We may use web beacons on this site from time to time for these and other purposes.
Opting Out of Cookies and Web Beacons
If you wish to prevent certain or all cookies from being set to your hard drive or device, or to clear existing cookies from your browser’s or device’s cache, you may be able to disable them in your browser’s or device’s preferences, although your browser or device might then be unable to accommodate certain functionalities on the MCN Services. Visitors desiring to prevent data from being collected by Google Analytics, including user ID information collected through Google’s Universal Analytics service, may use the opt-out browser add-on developed by Google for this purpose.
In addition, if you wish to opt out of receiving personalized or “interest-based” sponsorship or other messages from our third-party vendors and other participating companies, please visit //networkadvertising.org/choices. Please note that if you opt out, you will still receive other types of messages that are not personalized or interest-based. Opting out is cookie-based and will only affect the specific computer and browser on which the opt out is applied. If you subsequently delete your browser cookies, you will need to opt out again.
For more information about opting out of interest-based messages, visit www.aboutads.info/choices.
Use and Sharing of Information
MCN’s use of personally-identifying information includes the following: managing and administering MCN Services; responding to visitor messages; providing personalized content; listing name and location (city, state and/or country) information provided by visitors when broadcasting or publishing User Materials; offering access to MCN events; contest management; editorial purposes such as contacting visitors for an online survey; use by MCN’s third-party vendors to operate interactive sponsorship acknowledgment services on MCN Mobile Services; sending MCN email newsletters and other communications, including marketing, fundraising, membership and other communications, from MCN to visitors; other internal purposes and marketing, fundraising, membership and communications purposes of MCN; and other purposes specified at the time the information is gathered. Any geolocation data and other location information collected through MCN Services is used to offer relevant content to the visitor.
In addition, if you send User Materials to MCN through MCN Services, we may print the User Materials, or an excerpt from the User Materials, on the MCN Services, read them on air, or otherwise publish them in any other medium, together with your name and location (city, state and/or country) if you provide that information to us. MCN may contact visitors regarding their submissions in certain circumstances.
Excluding information provided by the visitor when participating in the MCN social networking features, forums or discussions, or sending User Materials to MCN, which may become public as discussed above, personally-identifying information collected by MCN is not provided to outside parties except MCN service vendors (such as MCN’s email list manager, and the provider of the tool that allows visitors to sign in using information from their account with a third-party service), and other third parties when the visitor specifically consents to such distribution (such as the disclosure of your name to a friend when you email, send via SMS or text message, or otherwise share a story with that friend). Visitors to the MCN Mobile Services should be aware that the wireless carrier for a mobile device or the automobile manufacturer also may collect personally-identifying information and geolocation data. Visitors should check the privacy policies of their wireless carriers and automobile manufacturers for additional information.
If you do not want your personally-identifying information to be collected or used for any of these purposes, please do not provide it (although if you do not provide it, you may not be able to use or participate in certain features of the MCN Services). You can also “opt out” according to the process described below in the section titled “Corrections to Registrations; Opting Out of Communications.”
MCN, with the assistance from time to time of its third-party service vendors, uses non-identifying information (in aggregated and non-aggregated form), including non-identifying aggregate data regarding age, gender and/or visitor interests, to analyze use of and better design the MCN Services. For example, MCN may use information to recognize a visitor as the same user when the visitor accesses the MCN Services using different browsers or devices. MCN may share information with third parties in aggregate, non-identifying form as appropriate. For example, we may tell a third party that a certain number or category of visitors accessed a particular audio stream on the MCN Services. We may share non-identifying aggregate information with third-party services that combine MCN’s information with aggregate information from other sources to provide ratings and ranking data or other services of value to MCN. We may share non-identifying information, in aggregated or non-aggregated form, with third-party vendors to help MCN analyze and improve the MCN Services. However, we will not disclose any information that could be used to identify our visitors.
MCN also may share information obtained from devices that visitors use to access the MCN Services with certain of its third-party vendors.
MCN has in place what we believe to be appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online. Credit card information provided to MCN is protected by 128-bit encryption and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) security features, which scramble your personal information so that only your browser and the MCN server can decipher it. However, no Internet, email or mobile transmission is ever fully secure or error free. Because most email and mobile transmissions are not encrypted, you should take special care in deciding what information you send to us via email, SMS or text message, or other mobile transmission.
Under 13: Children should always get permission from their parents before sending any information about themselves (such as their names, email addresses, and phone numbers) via the web or their mobile device, to MCN or to anyone else. The MCN Services are not directed at children under the age of 13 and MCN does not knowingly allow anyone under the age of 13 to provide any personally-identifying information to MCN. If you are under 13 years of age, please do not send any information about yourself, including your name, address or email address. If we discover that we have collected any personally-identifying information from a child under the age of 13, we will remove that information from our database as soon as possible.
13-18: You must be at least 18 years old in order to Submit any User Materials on or through the MCN Services, register for the MCN Services, create a public profile, participate in any online contests, or place an order on MCN. Visitors between the ages of 13 and 18 must obtain permission from their parents or guardians before registering for email newsletters or otherwise sending any personally-identifying information.
Corrections to Registrations; Opting Out of Communications
Please Contact Us to (a) correct or update any registration information that you have provided to MCN, (b) opt-out of future communications from MCN, or (c) request MCN to cancel your MCN account, MCN newsletter registration and other MCN registrations.
Links to other Sites and Services
MCN Services include a tool that allows you to sign in or share content using information from your account with a third-party service, such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or Disqus. Please be aware that those third-party services are unrelated to MCN, and that your use of the third-party services is subject to the terms and policies of those services.
International User Notice
For international users, please note that it may be necessary to transfer your information internationally and, in particular, your information may be transferred to and processed in the United States. For residents of the European Union: the data protection and other laws of other countries outside of the European Union may not be as comprehensive as those of the European Union. Please be assured that we take steps to ensure that your privacy is protected as described in this policy. By using the MCN Services, you agree to have your information transferred to and used in the United States as set forth in this policy.