Over a 24-hour period beginning at 3 p.m. on New Year’s Eve, the Maui Fire Department responded to 12 fire related calls.
MFD officials say that eight of the fire calls were confined to rubbish bins and were quickly extinguished. An additional three were small brush fires and one was reported as a vehicle fire.
Four of the fires were directly attributed to either firework use or the disposal of fireworks that were still smoldering.
The largest occurred at 1:26 a.m. on New Year’s Day. Maui firefighters responded to the Royal Mauian in Kihei where
there was smoke reported in one of the stairwells. Upon arrival, Engine 6 from Kihei located a box of spent fireworks which was on fire in a trash chute closet on the fifth floor of the apartment building. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire and confirm there was no further fire extension in the trash chute and basement dumpster.
MPD reports that damage estimates for these reported fires are unavailable at this time.