Baldwin High School officials issued a letter, dated Friday, March 9, to parents following a “student misconduct” incident on Tuesday.
According to Principal Catherine Kilborn, a student brought an over-the-counter substance in powder form, mixed it with water, and shared the drink with other students.
Some of the students who ingested the liquid reportedly had adverse reactions, including nausea, vomiting, and hallucinations.
Kilborn noted that the school reported the incident to 9-1-1 and sought medical attention.
All students who ingested the liquid, regardless of signs of illness, were taken to the emergency room by first responders at their recommendation, along with the advice of Poison Control.
“The safety and well being of our students and staff are of utmost importance,” Kilborn wrote. “With this commitment in mind, we ask that you please remind your child not to ingest unknown substances and drinks that may be harmful and pose a health risk to themselves and others. Students should also not be brining contraband items to campus.”
Illicit drugs and intoxicating substances are prohibited by the Hawai`i Administrative Rules as contraband items. The offense is listed as a Class-A offense and can be met with school disciplinary actions or if deemed necessary referred to police for action.
School officials did not reveal what exactly the substance was.