Breaking News

Fire Causes $50,000 in Damage to Kihei Home

At 7:44 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, South Maui fire crews responded to a kitchen fire at a home on Eleu Place in Kihei.

Kihei firefighters were on scene at 7:51 p.m. and found a small fire in the kitchen area of a two-story residence. All of the occupants were out of the house. Firefighters brought the fire under control at 8:18 p.m. and extinguished it at 8:25 p.m.

A 14-year-old boy was the only person at home and discovered the fire on the kitchen stove. He tried but was not able to extinguish the flames which had already spread to the microwave and cabinets above. The boy evacuated the home and dialed 911.

The fire was ruled as accidental and caused by unattended food left on the stove.

The fire caused an estimated $30,000 in damage to the structure and $20,000 to contents. No one was injured in the incident.

Four adults and the 14-year-old boy have been displaced by the fire and are staying with relatives until other arrangements can be made.

A battalion chief and four companies from Kihei, Wailea, and Kahului responded to the fire.

Comments

comments

Check Also

Maui Police Warn Businesses of Bomb Threat Scam as Nationwide Threats Occur

The Maui Police Department is warning the public about an e-mail scam that occurred on …