Fire crews responded to a report of a possible structure fire located at 1672 Kahaone Place on Wednesday.
At 1:01 p.m., firefighters arrived at the scene and discovered heavy smoke coming from ventilation openings of the roof of a single-story residential structure. After investigation, the source of the smoke was a fire that originated within a wall that divides the main house from an extension of the house.
Fire damages were estimated at $5,000 to the structure and $5,000 to its contents. There were no indications that this fire was intentionally set.
Because some electrical wiring was compromised in the fire, the electrical power to the structure could not be turned back on. Red Cross is assisting the occupants of the home. None of the occupants were at home at the time of the fire’s discovery.
Neighbors heard the smoke alarms within the house, saw smoke coming from the house, and called 911.
Firefighters from Kihei (Engine 6), Wailea (Engine 14), and Kahului (Rescue 10) responded to this incident.