Calling all performers ages 8-18! Spend your summer singing, dancing and acting in MAPA’s Summer Musical Theatre Camp, culminating in 8 public performances of Disney’s Mulan Jr. All students perform in the show!
Offering more than 175 hours of training under the expert direction of professional teaching artists, the camp embodies MAPA’s commitment to delivering the highest quality performing arts experiences educationally and artistically. Founded in 1974, MAPA provides the longest running performing arts camp on Maui and serves students from Maui, other Hawaiian islands and the mainland.
Firmly rooted in the philosophy that sustained, regular participation in the arts is essential to the development of young people, the camp delivers a rigorous and fun curriculum including:
- Acting – physical portrayal of character; vocal expression; emotional commitment and expression
- Dance – body control; strength and flexibility; counting and rhythm; abstract and literal expression; spatial awareness
- Singing – breath support and projection; pitch; articulation
- Professionalism – theatre etiquette; stage directions and annotations; memorization; timing
- Collaboration – respect; trust of self and others; dependability; flexibility
- Personal Skills – empathy, focus, creative problem-solving, confidence
The camp runs June 12–July 20 (Mondays – Fridays, 9:00 am – 2:00 pm) in the MAPA Main studios at 2027 Main Street in Wailuku. Performances run July 21–23 & 28–30 in the new state-of-the art ‘A’ali’ikuhonua Creative Arts Center on the campus of Seabury Hall in Makawao.
Tuition for the camp is $895. (That’s 175 hours of training at $5 per hour – the best deal in town!) A generous needs-based scholarship program is available. To apply, go to //mauiacademy.org/scholarships/. Payment plans are also available.
Registration for the camp begins Tuesday, March 28. Register online at //mauiacademy.org/registration/ or in person at the MAPA administrative office, 81 N. Church Street in Wailuku.
For more information about the camp, check //mauiacademy.org/summer-musical-theatre-camp/ often for updates or call the MAPA office at (808) 244-8760.